Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player and browser plug-in for Firefox, Mozilla, and Konqueror. Previously, it was only possible to play flash movies with proprietary software. While there are some other free flash players, none support anything beyond SWF v4. Gnash supports many SWF7 features and Action Script 2 classes. With growing support for SWF v8 and v9, Gnash also supports many GNU/Linux distributions, embedded GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, non x86 processors, and 64 bit architectures.
Following are some of the features Gnash
- Gnash can run standalone to play flash movies.
- Run as a plug-in from within most Mozilla derived browsers, such as Firefox.
- Gnash can play many current flash movies (swf7+).
- Supports viewing of streaming video from popular video sharing sites like YouTube.com.
- Gnash also supports an XML based message system as documented in the Flash Format specification.
- It uses OpenGL for rendering the graphics on the desktop and AntiGrain (AGG) for embedded frame buffer only devices results high quality video
- Gnash supports extending Action Script by creating your own. You can write wrappers for any development library, and import them into the player.