Free digital issues of several popular magazines are available via Zinio for free to iPhone users and those who using Safari or Firefox can also view the magazine by changing the user agent in their browser. Following are some of the magazine available - U.S. News & World Report, Playboy, Popular Photography, Men’s Health, Popular Mechanics, PC Magazine, Elle, Technology Review, Macworld UK, Lonely Planet, Reader’s Digest, etc.
To read the magazines you only need to enter your email address which then subscribes to their mailing list, and you’ll be able to view the full digital issues magazines.
To take advantage of this, on your iPhone just navigate to Zinio. In case you don’t have an iPhone but you’re using Safari or Firefox and want to take advantage of this, here’s how you change the User Agent:
For Safari Browser:
- Open Safari and go to preferences.
- Click the Advanced tab and check the box that says “show develop menu in menu bar”
- Go up to the Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 – iPhone.
- Navigate to Zinio and start enjoying the magazines
- In the URL bar, enter "about:config"
- Right click anywhere on the page, go down to New and over to String
- You will be prompted to enter the preference name. Enter: general.useragent.override
- You will next be prompted to enter a "string value". Enter: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419 (United States)
- Once you have hit OK, you have morphed your Firefox into an iPhone mobile browser
Then scroll down to the "general.useragent.override" and right click it. Select Reset.
[Source : Cybernetnews / ismashphoe]